"Halo" by Beyoncé Knowles

April 14, 2009
"Halo" is a song by American R&B singer Beyoncé. It was written by Ryan Tedder and Evan Bogart for her third studio album, I Am… Sasha Fierce. In the United States, the song was released on January 20, 2009 as the album's fourth single.

The song "Halo", written by Ryan Tedder and Evan "Kidd" Bogart, was originally offered to British singer Leona Lewis, but Lewis did not have the time to record it in the time that Tedder wanted it released.

The song debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 on the issue dated February 7, 2009, at number 93 and so far peaked at number 18, becoming Beyoncé's 12th Top 20 single on the Hot 100 as a solo artist, and her 17th overall.

Halo by Beyoncé KnowlesOn the Canadian Hot 100, the song debuted at 92 and so far peaked at number 7.

On February 2, 2009, "Halo" debuted at number 40 on the Official New Zealand RIANZ Top 40 Chart, becoming her 15th top 40 hit there. The following week the song jumped 34 places to number 6, then jumping to number three in its third week. The song has since peaked at number 2, making it Knowles' third consecutive number 2 single behind "If I Were A Boy" and "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)". The song was certified Gold after seven weeks, selling over 7,500 copies. On February 7, "Halo" became the most added song to Australian radio in the week of its release. "Halo" debuted at number twenty-nine on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart and has since peaked at number 3 making it a bigger hit than "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" there.

On March 7, 2009, the song made its debut on UK Singles Charts at number 40 on downloads alone, 5 weeks before its official release. The following week the song went up twenty places to number 20 and rose another eleven places to number 9, the week after it rose to number 4 with a futher 2 more weeks until release.

World Singles Top 40 says: "The song Halo by Beyoncé has been listed for 118 weeks in 14 different charts. Its first appearance was week 1/2009 in the US Airplay Top 100 and the last appearance was week 16/2009 in the New Zealand Top 40, Norway Singles Top 20, Australia Singles Top 50, UK Singles Top 75, World Singles Top 40, Canada Singles Top 100, Portugal Singles Top 50, US Singles Top 100 and Bulgaria Singles Top 40. Its peak position was number 2, on the New Zealand Top 40 and Norway Singles Top 20, it stayed there for 2 weeks. Its highest entry was number 15 in the Norway Singles Top 20. Below you'll find the exact numbers and statistics."

The video premiered exclusively on iTunes on December 23, simultaneously with the music video for "Diva".

The music video was shot in late November and was directed by Philip Andelman. It features Justify Fullactor Michael Ealy as Knowles' love interest , and unlike the other three music videos from the album , "Halo" is the first video to be shot fully in colour. The song was cut to be shorter for the music video (the album version is 4 minutes and 21 seconds, while the video version is around 3 minutes and 45 seconds. The second bridge in the Video Edit of the song is shortened) and only part of the song is actually sung by Beyoncé while during other times it is just the music playing in the background while the video progresses. The video begins with Beyoncé up against a wall with a window behind her with light shining. As the video progresses the scenes vary in different parts of the house. In one scene, Beyoncé is dancing to some choreography in a leotard while her love interest is looking down at her from a balcony. During the climax Beyoncé is seen underwater moving upwards slowly in white clothing and when the chorus begins, Beyoncé opens her eyes. The last scene is played with Beyoncé lying down with Michael Ealy above her and only their faces are shot for the scene. The song has an alternate video as well when Beyoncé is driving throughout the video then finds out at the end of the video her boyfriend is dead.


The Lyrics

(lyrics are written by beyonce)

Remember those walls I built
Well baby they're tumbling down
And they didn't even put up a fight
They didn't even make a sound
I found a way to let you in
But I never really had a doubt
Standing in the light of your halo
I got my angel now

It's like I've been awakened
Every rule I had you breakin'
It's the risk that I'm takin'
I ain't never gonna shut you out

Everywhere I'm looking now
I'm surrounded by your embrace
Baby I can see your halo
You know you're my saving grace
You're everything I need and more
It's written all over your face
Baby I can feel your halo
Pray it won't fade away

I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo) halo
I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo) halo
Woah...

Hit me like a ray of sun
Burning through my darkest night
You're the only one that I want
Think I'm addicted to your light
I swore I'd never fall again
But this don't even feel like falling
Gravity can't forget
To pull me back to the ground again

It's like I've been awakened
Every rule I had you breakin'
Its the risk that I'm takin'
I'm never gonna shut you out

Everywhere I'm looking now
I'm surrounded by your embrace
Baby I can see your halo
You know you're my saving grace
You're everything I need and more
It's written all over your face
Baby I can feel your halo
Pray it won't fade away

I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo) halo
I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo) halo
I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo)

Halooooo ouuuu
Halooooo ouuuu
Halooooo ouuuu
Ouuuuu ouuuuu ouuuuu

Everywhere I'm looking now
I'm surrounded by your embrace
Baby I can see your halo
You know you're my saving grace
You're everything I need and more
It's written all over your face
Baby I can feel your halo
Pray it won't fade away

I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo) halo
I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo) halo
I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo) halo
I can feel your halo (halo) halo
I can see your halo (halo) halo

No comments yet:

Post a Comment